Tuesday, January 20, 2015

There's A Nurse In Me

Source
I have a confession to make. At about the mid-point of winter break I started to think about coming back to school and coming back to class. I knew this semester was going to be hard and it scared me greatly. Doubt started to fill my mind. Could I do this? Did I even want to be a nurse?

At one point I thought about either leaving college all together or switching majors. I cried on the first day of classes because I wasn't happy at all. The second day of classes was the first time I got to wear scrubs and let's just say I had zero excitement. I cried the third day of classes because I just couldn't do any of the work and was so stressed. Since last week (my first week), things have gotten a little better each day. It's a slow process but I am getting there.

It's extremely hard to have doubts about something that you once loved. It's extremely hard to think you had your life together when you no longer do. Actually, its really scary to think about and to have to work through those emotions.

I allowed myself to suppress to my emotions for a week and only a week. After that first week was up I made myself really thinking about what was going on. I thought about why I was feeling that way and came to some realizations. I was more scared about the class than anything else. I was letting fear take over.

Because of the self love month, I was able to come up with an activity that helped me see things a little more clearly. I feel like this could help other people out there even if they aren't a nursing student.  Maybe you're not sure if you want to be a teacher or if you are doing the right thing.

What I did was make a list of all of the reasons why I would make a good nurse. Why I want to continue with school. Here's my list.

Source
I enjoy helping people and that's what nurses do. 
The human body and the medical field interest me a whole ton. 
I have a mothering instinct. 
I have a passion for nursing and you need that. 
It's my dream. 
I am selfless and would do anything for anyone. 
I am good at staying in control when there is chaos. 

So I am taking this and carrying it around with me. I need to be reminded why I am doing what I do. If you are having any doubts about your life choices make a list as to why you would be good at that. It will help I promise! 

xoxo,
Lauren 

P.S. If anyone was wondering I am staying on top of my self love journal and writing one thing down every day. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lauren, my name is Rachel and I graduated nursing school in May of 2013. I'm an obstetric nurse and I can relate to your post. I felt many of these same feelings while in school.
    Hang in there because believe me, even though you don't know me, it gets WAY better! Like way way better:-D
    Please check out my nursing blog at http://www.frazzledrazzlern.blogspot.com
    I'll be thinking of you, and I hope things get better soon.

    ReplyDelete