Friday, March 28, 2014

Deciding to Join a Sorority

As some of you know, my roommate joined a sorority in the spring. I also had two really good friends join sororities as well. Funny thing is they all joined different sororities. At the time I had no intentions of joining one. They really didn't interest me and I didn't see the big deal in them.

Well, my mind has changed. I have spent the last few months watching my friends go through the process and I have watched their lives change. After thinking about nothing but sororities for a few weeks I have decide that sorority life might be for me. I empathize on the might. Because sororities are so time consuming and are really a life changing thing I have and still am weighing the pros and cons. The reasons why I do and don't want to join a sorority.



Pros
You gain sisterhood: I went to an all girls high school that was extremely close. The girls in my class were and still are my sisters. Leaving LF (my high school) was extremely hard for me because I loved it so much. After coming to college I realized, well into the spring semester, I was missing something. Something in my life wasn't there. After really thinking about it, I realized it was the sisterhood. I really want that sisterhood back.

It looks good on your resume: Right now I am not involved in anything at school. I don't play sports and things like student government are not really my thing. Being in a sorority will really help that, on top of gaining amazing friends. I'm really thinking about what sororities will do for me in the long run.

The opportunity to help others: All sororities have a mission and have something they help with. My personality screams helping and that is something that I would love to do. I love, love helping people. The sorority I am actually thinking about helps children and goes to the children's hospital. It just screams me.


Cons
It can cost a lot: I am already worried about the amount of money I will have to pay just to come to college and that doesn't even include how much a sorority will cost. I am not an expert on the cost but I know there are fees to pay and then there is the crafts and gifts you buy for your sisters. Crafting is not cheap.

The process of getting in scares me: Yep I'm afraid of being hazed or being put in uncomfortable situations. Usually I am a shy girl and don't really like to be the center of attention. Although I have gotten better at being open and not so shy, I'm still afraid of having to be EXTREMELY social.



I have only told about three or four friends about all of this. My roommate doesn't know. My family does't know. I don't openly talk about it with anyone but my one friend. The reason I have talked about it with my one friend is because she is in the sorority I want to join and I don't feel like I am going against anyone when I tell her. I also haven't told my roommate because I would not want to join her sorority and I don't know how she would take it.

I still have months before I can act on my decision and my mind could change. As of right now I am all for it and just thinking about it gets me excited. I'm not going to say the names of the two sororities I am thinking about because I don't know how it will all turn out.

If you have any advice on this process let me know. All and any tips would be helpful and greatly appreciated!

xoxo,
Lauren

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more on the cons and pros! I decided not to join as it just didn't feel right to me, hope you do what's best for you :) Loving going through your blog posts, so relatable and more interesting then my blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no desire to join on before but now I do. We'll see what happens in the Fall. I might change my mind. Thank you so much! This really made my day. I love your blog too and its part of the reason I started mine.

      Delete